Click Below to listen to this article
Have you found a Gynaecologist you feel comfortable with and one that you can trust? Here are some pointers:
- Research healthcare providers
- Ask friends and family members about their experiences.
- Ask your primary care physician or GP
- Check online reviews or healthcare provider directories
- Schedule a consultation to discuss your healthcare needs and ask any questions you may have. The most important thing you can do during this consultation is learn about the provider’s approach to care and their experience.
- Be prepared to discuss your medical history and any concerns you may have about your reproductive health. This can include questions about birth control, menstrual irregularities, sexually transmitted infections or even any other gynaecological issues you may be experiencing. Don’t be shy.
- Get regular screening so that your provider may recommend Pap tests or mammograms to help detect any potential health issues early.
- Follow-up as needed. Depending on the results of your screenings or exams your provider may recommend follow-up appointments or additional testing. It’s important to follow through with these recommendations to ensure your continued reproductive health.
Here are some top questions to ask a gynaecologist at your first visit:
- What types of birth control options are available to me? Your gynaecologist can discuss different birth control methods and help you choose the one that’s best for you based on your health history, lifestyle, and personal preferences.
- How often should I have a Pap test or cervical cancer screening? Pap tests and cervical cancer screenings are important for detecting abnormal cells or cancerous changes in the cervix. Your gynaecologist can advise you on how often you should have these tests based on your age, medical history, and risk factors.
- Are there any vaccines I should consider for my reproductive health? Depending on your age and lifestyle, your gynaecologist may recommend vaccines such as the HPV vaccine which can help prevent certain types of cervical cancer.
- What can I do to manage menstrual pain or irregularities? If you experience painful or irregular periods, your gynaecologist can discuss ways to manage your symptoms with over-the-counter pain relievers, hormonal birth control or the other treatment options available to you.
- How can I maintain my reproductive health over time? Your gynaecologist can provide guidance on how to maintain good reproductive health throughout your life including tips for healthy eating, exercise, and other lifestyle factors that can impact your reproductive health.
Remember that your gynaecologist is there to help you maintain your reproductive health and answer any questions you may have. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or bring up any concerns you may have during your appointment.
Dr. Roberta Corona, Medical Director of BioConnect Medical Centre is an Obstetrician Gynaecologist. She is also a world-renowned Fertility Specialist and the first Certified Menopause Practitioner in Barbados. The lens through which she looks at your gynaecological care is wide taking into consideration where patients are in their life. Our youngest patient is currently 12 years old and our oldest is 93!
To get started with BioConnect Medical, reach out to us at email@example.com or call us on (246) 537 6328 – it would be our honour to do this life with you!
Once you are in our community we will support your health care with a one-stop shop approach so that we value your most important asset: your time.
At BioConnect we provide:
- Blood drawing for most/all blood tests
- Pap Smears and CO-PA /HPV Smear Test
- Breast Exams
- Bone Density Scanning
- Contraception Guidance and Medication
- Colposcopy Treatment
- Cancer Screening
- Medication for Osteoporosis
- Hormone Optimization Medication (HRT) in various forms such as patch, pill, gel, spray and pellets
- Pelvic Ultrasound
- Minimally invasive surgery such as hysteroscopy and endometrial ablation
- Vaginal Pessaries
- Vaginal Atrophy Laser Therapy (Mona Lisa Touch)